For User-Led Mental Health Groups
Are you a local group run by people with experience of mental health
problems? Are you trying to bring about better mental health services or to improve peoples attitudes to mental health issues?
Do you need money for your running costs like rent, bills and travel? If
so then read on!
Comic Relief is offering small grants (of up to £5,000) to support
user-led mental health groups who can help people with mental health problems to get their voices heard and campaign for change.
Who can apply?
● User-led mental health groups with an annual income of less than
£150,000 a year.
By user-led we mean that a majority of people on the management
committee have personal experience of mental health problems.
● Groups dont have to be registered charities but they must have
charitable aims and objectives.
What we will fund:
● Patients Councils or Forums representing members views to those
developing mental health policies or services
● Groups campaigning for better mental health services or a reduction in
discrimination against people with mental health problems
● Media Action groups working to improve coverage of mental health
problems in the local media
● Advocacy work
You can apply for up to £5,000 towards your running costs (e.g. rent,
electricity, phone bills, photocopying & printing, travel) or for the costs of training (e.g. to develop the skills of your Management Committee in organisational development or financial management).
What we wont fund:
● Work that is solely focused on self-help or peer-support activities
● Information services, telephone helplines
How to apply:
● You can download an application pack from our website at
● Alternatively, you can request a copy of the application pack by sending
a self addressed, stamped (85p) A4 envelope to:
UK Grants Team,
89 Albert Embankment,
London, SE1 7TP.
● If you have any questions about the form or your application please give
us a call on: 020 7820 5555 and we will try and help.
● Small grants applications are assessed on an ongoing basis and there are
We aim to give you a decision within three months of you applying.
Comic Relief, registered charity 326568